Adware is a software program often malicious software program designed to generate revenue by generating online advertisement. Adware displays ads in a static display box, in a banner display in a website or a pop-up window.
Adware Programs are potentially unwanted programs (PUP).
MalwareBytes describe Adware as following “Adware is unwanted software designed to throw advertisements up on your screen, most often within a web browser. Some security professionals view it as the forerunner of the modern-day PUP (potentially unwanted program). Typically, it uses an underhanded method to either disguise itself as legitimate, or piggyback on another program to trick you into installing it on your PC, tablet, or mobile device.”
How do you get infected with Adware
People download adware by visiting malicious websites, or by downloading free software. If you are visiting a website with vulnerable Web Browser, then the Bad guys use this as advantage to install adware on your device. Many free software come with adware, malware or spyware along with them. Adware get installed in your device without your permission, even without your knowledge.
According to GBHacker report “With a lot of free software available on the web, people are likely to download them for their own reasons, but they are unaware that this software does not come alone. Malware, Spyware, and Adware can accompany them, become a parasite in user’s systems resulting in unnecessary breakdowns and breaches.”
How Adware affects you
- Adware can collect your personal information and can steal that information and even at the worst case sell it without your approval
- Adware redirects you to malicious websites
- Adware through more advertisements when you are visiting a website and its really annoying
- If your device gets infected with Adware, it will make your device slow down
Some adware collects your information with your approval to give you classified ads. Adware can be classified as Spyware, if the adware is collecting your personal information without your approval or knowledge.
Should Adware be treated as Malware
A pair of researchers from Concordia University in Montreal, Canada – Xavier de Carné de Carnavalet and Mohammad Mannan in their research paper described Adware as a malware program. “The line between adware and malware is a gray area” The researcher says in their paper. You will get the full paper here.
Top 3 Adware Remover Tool
1. AdwCleaner Adware Remover Tool by MalwareBytes – AdwCleaner is an adware remover tool developed by MalwareBytes. AdwCleaner is a popular tool to remove unwanted programs like adware, junkware. It is a free tool offered by MalwareBytes. Software Requirements for AdwCleaner is Windows 10 (32/64-bit) , Windows 8 (32/64-bit) , Windows 7 (32/64-bit). To download AdwCleaner Adware Remover Tool and to know more about AdwCleaner Adware Remover Tool, visit AdwCleaner Adware Remover Tool official website, here.
2. HitmanPro Malware Removal Tool by Sophos – HitmanPro Malware Removal Tool can also be used to remove adware from your device. HitmanPro Malware Removal Tool can be used alongside your existing antivirus program. “The HitmanPro client uses a Behavioral Scan to identify common characteristics of virus activity or suspicious files. The tool reports back to a Scan Cloud that determines if the files are safe, malicious, or unknown. In the event that HitmanPro by Sophos detects an unknown, the client uploads the file to the Scan Cloud. It then scans the file with five antivirus programs to determine whether it is safe or malicious.” Sophos says about HitmanPro Malware Removal Tool. To download HitmanPro Malware Removal Tool and to know more about HitmanPro Malware Removal Tool, visit HitmanPro Malware Removal Tool official website, here.
3. Bitdefender Adware Removal Tool – Bitdefender Adware Removal Tool is also a good option to remove adware from your device. Bitdefender Adware Removal Tool will give you a safe, adware free web browsing experience. Minimal system requirements for Bitdefender Adware Removal Tool is Microsoft Windows 7/8/8.1/10; To download Bitdefender Adware Removal Tool and to know more about Bitdefender Adware Removal Tool, visit Bitdefender Adware Removal Tool official website, here.