This is the most perfect guide on How to install Ubuntu on a Chromebook. It does not matter which version of the Chromebook you are running. Each Chromebook environment is able to install Ubuntu as the Chromium operating system also runs on a Linux distrobution.
There are some requirements which you will need to be aware of if you want to install Ubuntu on your Chromebook:
- The installation will require your full harddisk. So you will need to make a back-up of your Chromebook files if you want to continue to install Ubuntu on your Chromebook.
- You will need an strong WiFi connection. Do not try to install Ubuntu on your Chromebook if you do not have a steady connection with the internet.
- You will need some music when you are installing the Ubuntu distro on your Chromebook. Why? Because music rocks.
How to install Ubuntu on your Chromebook
As we said, you will need to be aware of the requirements mentioned above if you want to install Ubuntu on your Chromebook. So now that you are aware of that, we can continue to the installation process.
Step 1: Enable Developer mode
Be aware that when you enter the Developer mode that everything on the harddisk will get deleted. So are you sure that you made a back-up? if yes, continue.
Boot into recover mode by pressing and holding the ESC and REFRESH keys at the same time, then press the POWER button while holding the ESC and REFRESH keys. This will boot you into developer mode.
- ESC + REFRESH + POWER = DEVELOPER MODE
Once you see the recovery mode screen press the CTRL+D buttons, this combination will command the Chromebook to enter the Developer mode.
- CTRL + D = Enter the developer mode
Allow it to enter the developer mode. This will take some time as it will delete the harddisk and reinstall the Chromebook operating system with the enabled developer mode.
Step 2: Install Crouton which will manage the Ubuntu installation on your Chromebook
Once you have logged in at your Chromebook environment you will need to download and use a couple files which need to be downloaded from the internet. Make sure that you are connected to the internet before you continue.
the website that provides you step-by-step guide on performing kik pc onlinelogin or when you want to download Kik Messenger for PC
You will need to download the CROUTON application from this link. Save the download in your Chromebook Downloads folder. We will use this later on.
Enter the Chromebook terminal by hitting the CTRL+ALT+T keys
- CTRL+ALT+T = Chromebook terminal
Once you have opened the Chromebook terminal you will need to enter these commands in order:
- shell + enter
- sudo sh -e ~/Downloads/crouton -t xfce + enter (If you have a Pixel change it to: sudo sh -e ~/Downloads/crouton -t touch,xfce + enter)
The two commands above will install Ubuntu on your Chromebook. So this is the perfect moment to enjoy the music. At a certain point the installation will ask for a USERNAME and PASSWORD which will be used for the Ubuntu profile.
So you will need to provide:
Once this has been completed you will be able to start using Ubuntu on your Chromebook by running the following commands in the terminal window:
- sudo startxfce4 + enter
Enjoy your Ubuntu environment on your Chromebook! I hope that you enjoyed this tutorial and the music. Let us know if you have some tips or add-ons.