Malware can be literarily regarded as computer parasites and its full meaning is malicious software. It is a software script that is written to hinder the proper functioning of the computer.
One of the reasons why you must eliminate malware from your computer is to prevent you from delivering your information to the wrong source and also to allow your computer to operate at its best state. Some of the effects of Malware on a computer includes annoying popup ads, slow actions of the computer and so on.
When you notice these effects on the computer, it can be concluded that you’ve picked up some Malware.
Developers of Malware attracts users by encouraging them to click on a link or installing a particular software that looks essential to them. Malware infections are caused by surfing the internet while inadequately protecting the computer especially when using outdated operating system and virus scans.
Some fake anti-malware programs make their effect noticeable by displaying a banner, telling you that your computer has been infected and you need to provide your credit card information or information to fix it. This is internet fraud and you shouldn’t fall for it.
STEP BY STEP PROCESS ON HOW RO REMOVE MALWARE FROMYOUR COMPUTER
First of all, you will need to have a working and updated antivirus package, so in order to help you forward, we have listed free antivirus products that will allow you to perform a full scan immediately;
Downloading an antivirus product and conducting a full scan
One of the first thing we need to do to solve this problem is to identify the type of malware we are dealing with and the best way to this is to perform an independent scan using the right utility software. It is advisable to download an anti-spyware program from google because most spyware programs comes with an inbuilt free scan which you can easily take advantage of. Although, Its not an easy task to choose a perfect anti-Spyware program to tackle the Malware threats on your computer because there are numerous fake Spyware programs online that can contribute to or infect your computer with dangerous Malware. Here are the steps in downloading an anti-spyware and conducting a full scan.
- Download an antivirus program with an inbuilt free scan
- Perform the “full scan” from the antivirus program interface
- Identify Files names, Folders, Registry keys and Registry values associated with the Malware threat.
Terminating Malware process from the Windows task manager
The next step is to terminate the Malware process via the windows task manager. Although, This isn’t the right place to perform this operation, You should be 100% sure that the Malware is the only program you are terminating from the task manager and it is advisable to leave it if you are not sure as this can cause real damage to your computer . Terminating Malware process can be done by following the process below.
- Use the shortcut key Ctrl+Alt+Delete to open the Task Manager or you can do this manually by Right clicking on the task bar and selecting “Task Manager” from the available options.
- Switch the Task Manager to ‘Processes’
- Select the Malware process you want to end and click on the ‘End Process’ button.
Deleting all the files attached to the Malware
If you have successfully ended the Malware process from the Task manager, You can now locate and permanently delete all the files attached to Malware on your computer. You must not leave any file associated with Malware on your hard drive as it can grow again, leaving you with a Malware infected computer. The process is explained below:
- You can easily search for the file by using the Start > Search > Search Everywhere function Provided you are using a Windows operating system.
- Take note of the file directory from Windows Explorer
- Malware threats usually hide themselves in your computer hence you need to unhide the folders containing the Malware threats. This can be done by following the procedures below
- Go to control panel
- Select “Folder Options”
- Select the “View” tab
- Select “Show Hidden Folders” button
- Select “Show hidden files and folders and drives ” from the radio button options
- Uncheck the checkbox behind “Hide protected operating system files(Recommended)”
- Uncheck the checkbox behind “Hide extension from known file types”
- Apply the settings
The next step is to delete all the files associated with Malware from the Windows Explorer. You can do this by using your scan results obtained in the first step since you have successfully unhidden all the files.
- Delete the already installed Malware Registry keys
Don’t be too happy if you have deleted all the files associated with the Malware because of some situations where malware effects still persists. This is because Malware also install Registry keys into the Windows Registry, thereby changing the way the computer functions. It should be noted that only confident computer users should make Registry changes to the computer and it is advisable that you should backup your registry before making any changes to it. The steps on how to delete the Registry Keys are explained below:
- Click Start > Search > Search Everywhere and search for “regedit”
- Locate the Malware registry keys in the Registry Editor by holding Ctrl+F and inputting the key
- Right click on the registry key and select the delete option
Dealing with complex Malware
The above steps can help solve the problem of simple and common malware but not in the case of Trojans and rootkits, Files can be hidden in such a way that it won’t be revealed when you search for it in the Windows Explorer. The malware can still setup a program script to activate the threat even after it has been deleted from your computer.
In this situation, you need to follow some extra procedures to ensure that your computer is totally free from malware threats. These procedures will help you double check if your computer is totally free from Malware.
Checking For hidden Malware