Facebook Leptospirosis Death Warning (2018 edition)

Beware of the message that circulates via email and social media which claims that a female died after catching Leptospirosis from dried rat urine on the lid of a soda can.

Rat Urine on Soda Can Top

Leptospirosis is a real illness, there is nothing fake about Leptospirosis, but the message which are being shared on Facebook contain highly improbable and misleading information.

The Leptospirosis Information Center has dismissed the following Facebook warnings as fake.

Example one: IMPORTANT PLEASE READ: Do Not Delete this message until it is extended to others

IMPORTANT PLEASE READ: Do Not Delete this message until it is extended to others ..
On Sunday , a family picnic, brought with them few drinks in tin.However, on Monday, two family members( who joined the picnic) were admitted to hospital and placed in the Intensive Care Unit space.One died on Wednesday.

Autopsy results concluded it hit Leptospirosis. The bacteria, known as LEPTOSPIRA interrogans, is stuck to the tin cans, and were drunk, without the use of glasses, cups or sip straws. Test results showed that the soda tin was infected from mice urine, and that had dried, the mice’ urine containing Leptospirosis.
It is highly recommended to rinse the parts evenly on all soda cans before drinking it. Cans are usually stored in the warehouse and delivered direct to retail stores without cleaning.

A study shows that the top of all beverage cans are more contaminated than public toilets (full of germs and bacteria.)
So, clean it with water before putting it to your mouth in order to avoid contamination.
PLEASE SHARE FOR THE INFORMATION AND AWARENESS OF ALL,,ESP, YOUR LOVED ONES,

Example two: FW: Toxic cans!!!! Please Read!!!VERY IMPORTANT PLEASE READ

Subject: FW: Toxic cans!!!! Please Read!!!VERY IMPORTANT PLEASE READ

This incident happened in North Texas .

A woman went boating one Sunday, taking with her some cans of coke which she put into the refrigerator of the boat. On Monday she was taken to the hospital and placed in the Intensive Care Unit. She died on Wednesday. The autopsy concluded she died of Leptospirosis. This was traced to the can of coke she drank from, not using a glass. Tests showed that the can was infected by dried rat urine and hence the disease Leptospirosis.

Rat urine contains toxic and deathly substances. It is highly recommended to thoroughly wash the upper part of soda cans before drinking out of them. The cans are typically stocked in warehouses and transported straight to the shops without being cleaned.

A study at NYCU showed that the tops of soda cans are more contaminated than public toilets (I.e.). Full of germs and bacteria. So wash them with water before putting them to the mouth to avoid any kind of fatal accident.

Please forward this message to all the people you care about.
(I JUST DID)

Example three: Subject: FW: Coke anyone?Charming……..

Subject: FW: Coke anyone?Charming……..This incident happened recently in Belgium.

A woman went boating one Sunday, taking with her some cans of coke which she put in the refrigerator of the boat. On Monday she was taken into ICU and on Wednesday she died.

The autopsy revealed a certain Leptospirosis caused by the can of coke from which she had drunk straight out of,not using a glass. A test showed that the can was infected by dried rat urine and hence the disease Leptospirosis.

Rat urine contains toxic and deathly substances. It is highly recommended to wash thoroughly the upper part of soda cans before drinking out of them as they have been stocked in warehouses and transported straight to the shops without with being cleaned.

A study in Spain showed that the tops of soda cans are more contaminated then public toilets i.e full of germs and bacteria. So to wash them with water is advised before putting it to the mouth to avoid any kind of fatal accident.

Now what?

Given that soda cans may have been stored or handled in an unsanitary manner before they reach consumers, the message’s recommendation to wash the top of cans is probably worth heeding. However, the spurious and misleading claims in the message should not be taken seriously.