Data breach not only cost to any organization, data breach also damage brand reputation. To prevent threat, Applications (Web, Mobile & desktop) should be secured. According to a report published in the https://www.forbes.com “84% of all cyber-attacks are happening on the application layer.” So Today we will give you nine security tips to protect your web applications from never ending security threat and cyber-attacks.
1. Make sure your application doesn’t have any vulnerability – Most dangerous threat for an application is its own vulnerability and flaws. Make sure your application doesn’t have any known vulnerability. It may be web application, mobile application or desktop application, eliminating vulnerability will help in preventing threats.
2. Consider security testing of your application before sending it to production – To eliminate vulnerability you can go through a security test of your applications. Security testing doesn’t slow down development process. Security testing helps finding and fixing your application’s vulnerability, makes your applications more efficient. So consider security testing of your applications before sending it to production.
3. Bug Bounty program can be helpful – Many big companies like Mozilla, Facebook, Yahoo!, Google, Reddit, Square, and Microsoft organize bug bounty programs to find vulnerabilities in their applications. Bug bounty program allows your organization to find and resolve bugs, before the public or notorious hackers are aware of them. So you can prevent mischievous incidents.
https://www.keycdn.com has a good view about bug bounty program “A great way to get feedback from the community regarding potential web application security issues is to introduce a bounty program. Even if you run a company with dedicated security professionals employed, they may not be able to identify all potential security risks. Therefore, to help encourage the community to find security risks and report them, offer a “bounty” of monetary value.”
4. Educate your organization stuff about application security – You can also secure your applications by educating your employees about application security. Knowing a little bit about cyber security will help your organization to fight back to any threat to your applications.
5. Use automated scanner for application security – Scanning all your application is also a good measures to secure your application. Consider using automated scanner to scan your applications that runs test daily. You can also use vulnerability scanning tools which are automated tools. Vulnerability scanning tools will look if your applications have vulnerabilities like Cross-site scripting, SQL Injection, Command Injection, Path Traversal.
6. Stop, before using Open Source code on your application – Open source code can be vulnerable. So using open source code on your application can make your applications vulnerable to cyber-attacks. So think twice before using open source code on your application. Riskemy.com says “Just one line of corrupt code can bring the whole website down.”
7. Consider encrypting your applications source code – Encrypting your source code will ensure attacker cannot be able to access your applications source code.
8. Penetration testing also help to secure your applications – Penetration testing is also called pen testing. To secure applications from notorious cyber criminals, penetration testing is helpful. Penetration testing is the practice of finding vulnerabilities in computer system, network or web application that an attacker can exploit.
According to https://riskemy.com report “Pen testing finds business logic vulnerabilities that are unknown to an automated scanner.”
9. In case Web application try follow the following suggestions –