In the current times we live in, technology has got smart and the people using it are getting smarter. The internet, in specific, has over the years become a much more unsafe place for the general public due to the rising numbers of hackers, malware, and other similar threats. But the good thing for the consumers of the internet is that since the last few years, a number of Virtual Private Networks have been popping up.
A Virtual Private Network, VPN for short, is the tool you need to secure your computer’s internet connection and that whatever data you are sending and receiving is encrypted, leaving no chance for a hacker to hack into your computer and steal your private information via a man in the middle attack.
VPNs come with bundles of features but at the same time, they are categorized into Free VPNs and Paid VPNs.
Though, the example given above is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the reasons why one must use VPN. Because with the increasing threats being highlighted by cyber security analysts, the reasons keep increasing. Therefore, to educate our readers of such reasons and answer the question why it is wise to use a VPN in this modern day and age, in this post, we have compiled an interesting list of “10 Outstanding Reasons to Use a VPN”.
10 Outstanding Reasons to Use a VPN
- Access Restricted Content Abroad: This is one of the most common reasons why people use VPNs. Suppose you went on a business tour or on a trip with your friends abroad, and when you decide to stream some content online, it turns out that it is blocked in that specific country. A VPN would then prove to be your savior as it has the ability to unblock the restricted content and let you access it while you are literally anywhere in the world.
- Upload and Download P2P Files in Complete Privacy: By no means is uploading or downloading copyright protected content encouraged by us but a benefit of using the VPN is that no one has to know whatever you share with your friends over the internet. This way you can share your private documents or personal photographs with your friends in a completely secure way.
- Use Public Wi-Fi without Breaking a Sweat: For people who love to be connected to the internet on the go, using public Wi-Fi is a mundane habit. But it must be known that as soon as you access a public Wi-Fi, you are actually exposing all your private information to hackers and inviting them to hack you. But by the use of a VPN, all your information gets encrypted, i.e. no hacker would be able to break into your computer and steal private information.
- Access Restricted Content at Work or School: Workplaces and schools always have a restricted internet connection, which usually agitates employees and students respectively when they want to access restricted content. Once again, to serve the required purpose, VPNs do an amazing job as they bypass such restricted network and open the whole internet for the user to access whatever they want to access.
- No Trace of Browsing History: Another great advantage of using a VPN is that it helps to leave no trace of browsing history. It might be a good idea to use a VPN if you are going to do something that can become a reason for public embarrassment.
- Bypass the Content Surveillance and Web Censorship of Your Country: A big number of countries around the world have various types of websites censored within their boundaries. Therefore, if you are a resident of such country then you can use a VPN to easily bypass your country’s content surveillance and web censorship.
- Access all of the Content on Netflix from Outside the US: Netflix is the treasure trove of entertainment but a mind-boggling demerit of this service is that a lot of TV show and Movies are not available in almost all location except the US. Therefore, to take complete advantage of your Netflix membership, you can use a VPN and set your location to the US to access ALL the content Netflix has to offer.
- Avoid Attempts of Tracebacks and Reprisals: A VPN helps you to avoid attempts of tracebacks and reprisals by various intelligence agencies or even hackers. This feature can help if you are an investigative journalist or a market analyst who wants to do essential research to cater their needs but don’t want to leave a trace of what they searched and which web pages they visited.
- Secure Your VOIP Phone Calls: It is really easy to eavesdrop on Voice-over-IP phone calls, which are calls offered by VOIP services such as Skype, Lync or online voice chatting. Therefore, a great idea to use a VPN that would secure your VOIP phone calls and ensure complete privacy.
- Because Privacy is Your Basic Right: Privacy is a basic human right, therefore, there shouldn’t be even a shred of doubt or holding back in not using a VPN and making your day to day computing secure and truly encrypted.